Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Spinning Out of Control

So the spinning/weaving retreat finished on Sunday.What a great time.Tanya taught me the basics of spindling our first night and I definitely struggled with drafting, getting my fibers to a manageable thickness and then spindling with consistency.My first efforts are pictured below.You'ld think I would be embarrassed to share the photo but we all have to start somewhere and I started way out there.Note there is no consistency and the yarn is very chunky.Okay,extremely chunky! With persistence and about 8-10 hours of spindling on Saturday I have finally managed to produce a decent single from Heidi's, hand dyed polworth.
My 1st efforts at spindling
1st spindling effort


I met a lot of very supportive people from all over. The ladies from Moncton were fun, supportive, knowledgeable, friendly and made me feel right at home. Tanya arrived in her completed shawl we had (Heidi, Tanya, and myself)decided to knit from Folk Shawls. You know the shawl I have only made a start on.It is lovely.
Tanya and her shawl
Tanya's shawl


Catherine whom I usually sat beside gave a wonderful demo on Navajo plying.
Catherine teaches Navajo plying


Linne(sp) God love her attempted to show me how to spin on her wheel. There was an exercise in patience on her part and one of futility on mine.Thanks Linne.
Linne
linne

Cathy a retired RN from my hospital, whom I have not seen for years and I had know idea she was a spinner,was there. Just the same as ever. Full of humor and a great spinner. Hey Cathy I have been looking at wheels and may actually purchase one! Pictured her helping a beginner spinner Leah. Leah made leaps and bounds with her spinning during the retreat.
Cathy and Leah


Steph from the Chapters knitting group arrived for the day on Saturday.Steph was spindling at Knit in Public day and unbeknown to her gave me the bug. Her wheel was very cool as well. Umm, I can't remeber the name of it but Staph was cranking out some fine singles.
Stephanie and her cool wheel


Below are various pictures of the Haloween costumes. I include the Chicken hat in defference to my hubby who keeps chickens.
Me "the Green hat Witch" spindling
CJ and Meredith

the circle

All the Witches

Sarah, best costume
the Chicken hat
Catherine


There was so much to do at the retreat and so much to learn. The shopping was fabulous and I look forward to seeing everyone next October in PEI.
Cinnaknits/spindles

1 comment:

Meredith R Culberson said...

I look a bit scared of CJ the clown!