Monday, November 28, 2011

Socks, Again!!

This morning is my final class of teaching 2 Toe-Up Socks on 1 Circular Needle at Cricket Cove in Moncton until the next time. I taught two classes one in the morning and one in the evening. I am always delighted to pass on this great sock knitting technique. I believe my students are usually amazed at the end of the classes that they have actually knitted a pair of socks this way. I never am. Here are a few things I want to pass on to all of you that want to knit socks in this fashion and have no LYS nearby offering classes. There are a number of books available that usually have visual aids that should assist you.The Internet is a great resource.There is You Tube with all its videos and search engines, Ravelry, Pattern Central, Knitty.com, Socknitters.com and many more.

The ladies in these two classes asked about baby socks. Foot size and how many stitches to cast on to total number of stitches. It is very difficult to answer those questions in a general way. Antje Gillingham offers a toe up pattern in her book Knitting More Circles Around Socks. The book is written for toe-ups on 2 circular needles but as I tell my students it is easy to convert the patterns to 1 circular needle. Lynne Lounsbury offers a varied pattern with a chart ranging from 3 to 36 months Easy Toe-Up Baby/Toddler Socks and p2designs offers patterns on DPNs with a conversion box at the end of the patterns.

The ladies were also interested in darning. I am going to brag here a bit and tell you all that I have not had to darn any of my hand knit socks to date. I am ready to do so at the first sign of a hole. I have my darning egg and needle all set to go. Here are a few URLs that I found to be very useful in assisting you to darn socks. From Knitting Daily and Kathleen Cubley Darn There's a hole in my sock! and from HJS Darn Those Socks! These are 2 of my favorites.

 Besides knitting socks I have been knitting hats, dumpling bags, and DH's sweater is waiting for me to finish the sleeves. We are knitting this week on Wednesday evening at 6pm at Read's in Riverview (weather permitting). See you there.
Cinna

No comments: