Sunday, October 26, 2014

Crazy Stitched Cardigan

In 1992 Pam Allen had a cropped, kimono, knitted cardigan pattern published in the 10th anniversary issue of Vogue Knitting magazine. It was a pattern always admired and swore I would some day knit. This spring I started on a long adventure of not only knitting the cardigan but spinning the wool for it as well. I collected together enough wool fibre of each of the five required colors; blue, black, red, gold and a brown- grey. The pattern called for almost 2000 yards in total of yarn so it took me a while to gather that amount in fibre. I spun for hours on my Ashford traveller wheel and plied the singles together for many more hours. I must say those hours were all very enjoyable. When it came time to knit the cardigan my gauge swatch was exact. I know now that not all wool that is handspun knits to the same gauge. I almost called it quits this summer when my thyroid acted up and my concentration became so poor that I wa tinking more rows then I was knitting. I persevered and got it all knitted. I then embroidered the seams and a few motifs and some embellishments. I completed the cardigan on the 21st of October a mere 3 days before the Annual Maritime Handspnners Retreat and I  love it. I would like to thank everyone who encouraged me and offered advice; Heidi Wulfraat, my hubby Nelson and my family. Thanks so much and I hope you enjoy the photos.

Cindy





Sent from my iPod

1 comment:

Babylon said...

FYI: overactive thyroid causes large Adam's apple